The long weekend is time for rest and relaxation. If you're camping, it can become easy to indulge on quick-cooking foods like pre-packaged burgers, hot dogs, and instant-anything.
With a little planning, it is actually quite easy to put together healthy meals for the whole crew, and keep your diet on-track.
Make your camping mates jealous with these easy and healthy eats for your weekend getaways!
Things to make while you're there:
Campfire Banana S'mores
Recipe Inspired by Eating Well
- 2 bananas
- 1 small handful of marshmallows
- 1 small handful of dark chocolate chips (or 2 pieces of dark chocolate chopped up finely)
- Cut through the inside peel (the curved edge) of the banana and peel back from the cut. Keep the banana inside.
- Cut the banana in-half, lengthwise (without cutting bottom peel).
- Gently push the marshmallows into the banana and top with chocolate
- Wrap banana in heavy-duty tin foil.
- Place on grate about 4-6 inches above the camp fire (only coals should be warm, no flame) and cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Brussels sprouts
- Red peppers
- Red onion
- 1 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Place veggies on a kebab stick in any order you choose
- Mix dressing ingredients and spread evenly over veggies
- Wrap in tin foil and place on BBQ grill over hot coals (or on portable BBQ on low). Check in about 25-30 minutes.
- When soft, take out of aluminum foil and place directly on grill for char marks.
Inspired by Dirty Gourmet
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 10 button or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup corn
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Place mushrooms, onion and corn on the foil. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Fold the foil to make a packet and place on grate to cook until veggies are tender. **The veggie mixture can be made a day or two ahead of time.
- Lay out 4 pieces of foil, and place a tortilla on top of each piece.
- Divide the cheese and veggie mixture among the 4 tortillas. Spread mixture on only on one half of the tortilla
- Fold in half, and wrap in foil. Seal the edges to make a packet.
- Cook for a few minutes on each side, or until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is crisp.
- 4 eggs
- 1 bell pepper (chopped)
- 4 turkey sausages, or 1/2 cup ground turkey
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 potatoes, grated
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Cook sausages or ground turkey in 1 tbsp coconut oil in a cast iron skillet. If using a non-stick skillet, use 1/2 tbsp oil.
- Add in grated potatoes and peppers, and stir until cooked/slightly browned.
- Add spinach and let slightly wilt. While you wait, scramble 4 eggs in a separate bowl.
- Pour in eggs, and stir using a wooden spoon until all eggs are cooked.
Other items to keep handy/Prepare before you go:
- Greek yogurt
- Whole grain bread for quick sandwiches
- Fruits like bananas and apples
- Healthy muffins and energy balls (you can find the recipes here)
- Nuts and seeds (you can find this is any bulk foods section)