Life gets busy, which often means skipping breakfast or an unhealthy grab-on-the go fix. Why does it matter?
Breakfast is a metabolism jump-starter, gives your body energy to power through the morning, and sets you up for a healthy eating day. Include a balance of carbs, protein and healthy fats to keep you satisfied and well nourished.
Here are some easy 5-minute (or less) prep breakfast ideas:
Daily Antioxidant Smoothie
- ½ cup blueberries
- ¼ banana (small to med size) – optional, omit if you prefer less sweet
- ¼ avocado (peeled, pit removed) – add ½ if omitting banana
- 1 cup spinach
- ½ tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp acai (extract, powder)
- 1 tsp spirulina (powder)
Tip: prep ready to use single portion containers of the above ingredients & freeze.
Add the above to a blender, plus:
- 1 cup coconut milk (unsweetened from carton, not canned)
- ¼ cup water or ice
*Blend well until smooth and well mixed. Adjust liquid to your personal preference.
Banana Overnight Oats
Make the night before:
- 1 small ripe banana (sub ½ cup berries if not a banana fan)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chia seeds (if you like a thick mixture, add 2 tbsp)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 tbsp coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or pure maple syrup (optional)
- In a small bowl, mash the banana until almost smooth. Stir in the chia seeds, coconut flakes and cinnamon until combined
- Stir in the oats & almond milk to combine well
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, or a minimum of 3 hours
- In the morning, stir the oat mixture and add toppings if desired.
Toppings (pick 1 or 2 of):
- ¼ cup almond milk, unsweetened (mix in if used)
- 2 avocado slices (1/4 med size avocado)
- 2 tbsp walnut pieces
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp cashew slices
Base: Chia Pudding (makes 4 x ¾ cup servings). Prep Sunday for quick use during the week.
- 2/3 cup chia seeds
- 3 cups unsweetened almond or coconut milk (from carton, not the canned type)
- 2 scoops (1/4 cup) protein powder (natural vanilla or chocolate flavoured)
- Whisk the above ingredients well, let stand for 10 minutes, then whisk well again. Cover and let stand in fridge overnight or at least 3 hours. It is ideal if you are able to stir again after an hour, but not necessary.
- Portion ¾ cup chia pudding into a bowl
- add ¼ cup almond or coconut milk (optional)
- Add ONE of: 2/3 cup berries, 1/3 cup natural granola, or 1/3 cup banana
- Add ONE of: 2 tbsp of sliver almonds or walnut pieces, 2 tbsp coconut flakes, 1 tbsp hemp seeds, or 2 avocado slices (1/4 med size avocado)
Easy Green Smoothie (low carb friendly, low sugar)
Add to blender in order:
- 1 cup coconut milk, unsweetened (carton, not canned)
- 2/3 cup avocado pieces
- 1 cup spinach
- ½ fresh lemon
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger (peel)
- ½ tsp turmeric, ground (or 1 tsp of fresh
- 1 tbsp protein powder (natural vanilla flavour) – choose one that has 5 grams of carbs or less per serving if following a low carb diet)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup ice
- ¼ cup cold water
*Blend well until mixed thoroughly and smooth.
About Blended For You: Nutritionally balanced, superfood boosted frozen smoothie packs delivered direct to your home or office. Life gets busy and you’ve got health goals. We’ve got you covered. Order online at www.blendedforyou.com.