Trying to live a balanced healthy life day-to-day can be a challenge, especially when you factor in family, work, or school commitments. However, the next time you rush out the door in the morning without having something to eat, you may be setting yourself up for trouble: skipping breakfast can lead to overeating later in the day, low energy, and other more serious health problems like heart disease.
Eggs, already a popular breakfast favourite, are packed with protein and nutrients.
This delicious one-pan breakfast dish featuring eggs can be made the night before and refrigerated/reheated for breakfast the next day. Bonus? It can also be enjoyed cold at lunch, which makes it a perfect addition to your meal prep.
Our tip: if you want to reduce the saturated fat and cholesterol that whole eggs contain, you can just use the egg whites: in a 100 gram serving (approximately 3 large egg whites), you score 11 grams of protein but with only 0.2 grams of fat and 52 calories. Pre-separated egg whites can also be purchased at your grocery store.
Spinach & Mushroom Frittata
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 8 button mushrooms (~100 grams), sliced
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 60 ml milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease an 8-inch round ovenproof quiche dish or cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Stir in the spinach and cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted.
- Transfer the contents of the pan into a heatproof bowl and set aside to cool.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan over medium heat. Add in the sliced mushrooms, cook for about 5 minutes (or until softened), and remove from the heat.
- Strain the spinach to remove any excess moisture, then add to the mushrooms and mix to combine.
- Spread the spinach and mushroom mix evenly over the base of the quiche dish/skillet.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until thoroughly combined.
- Add the milk, salt and pepper and whisk again to combine all the ingredients.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over the spinach and mushroom mixture.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until puffed and golden. If the frittata jiggles, put it back in the oven for another minute or so.
- Let cool – when ready, cut it into wedges and serve with a side of fruit (breakfast) or salad (lunch). Enjoy!