You likely know that the store-bought granola you just topped your smoothie bowl off with is loaded with added sugars. What if you can make your own at home in less time than it takes to run to the nearest Whole Foods for this breakfast staple?
Our favourite granola is what we call the "corner-of-the-pantry-finds" granola. It's always a toss-up what will be in it, but as long as you have some oats, you're nearly guaranteed a winner!
- 2 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 1 Cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 2 Handfuls of Chopped, Raw Mixed Nuts (walnuts, cashews, almonds, pecans, hazlenuts)
- 2 Tbsp. Hemp Seeds
- 1 Tbsp. Flax Seeds
- ¼ Cup Coconut shreds (YUM!)
- 1 Rounded Tbsp. of Organic, Cold-Pressed Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Almond, Cashew, or Other Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 Pinch of Salt
Things you might want to add: Ginger, dark chocolate chunks, raisins, turmeric.... the list can go on. Get playful and see what works for you!
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees celsius
- Melt coconut oil in microwave or on stovetop
- In a mixing bowl, throw in all of the ingredients except coconut oil
- Let sit for about 20 minutes (maybe do some exercises for your back while you wait!)
- Line a 9 x 13 inch sheet pan with aluminum foil and cover with melted coconut oil
- Spread mixture onto baking sheet
- Cook for 10-15 minutes (your nose will let you know when it's done!)
Our favourite ways to eat this:
- On top of Greek Yogurt
- Mixed with Pumpkin Purée
- As a work snack
- In a healthy breakfast parfait
- Top off our favourite smoothie bowl.