Autumn is the season after summer, where leaves fall from trees, cups are filled with pumpkin spice lattes, and jack o’ lanterns are from carved from pumpkins.
People come back from their vacations wanting to get back into their active routine. It’s easier said than done, and it can be rather difficult to pick up where you left off.
I’ve created this festive workout for you that requires nothing other than a pumpkin! Celebrate Halloween with this full body routine that will leave you feeling motivated to get back in the gym and away from the chocolate and candy corn!
Choose any size pumpkin that you like–you can even progress your workout by choosing a larger pumpkin!
3 sets of 20-25 reps
- Start with your feet firmly on the ground in front of you, and your pumpkin behind your head while lying down flat.
- Keeping your feet flat on the ground, engage your core muscles, let your chest and shoulders blades come off the floor first, followed by your head and arms.
- Hold this position for a second at the top and then slowly come back to lying on your back.
The Twisting Lunge
3 sets of 12 reps (each leg)
- Stand with your feet hip width apart, engage your core, and grab your pumpkin between both hands holding it in front of you.
- Take a big step forward and start to shift your weight forward.
- Your thigh should be parallel to the floor and the shin vertical.
- The knee should not go past your second toe.
- When in lunge position, twist your torso to the leg that’s out.
- Bring both feet back to centre and then repeat with the other leg and twist to the other side.
Burpee with an Overhead Press
3 sets of 12 reps
- Squat down and place your hands on the floor in front of you.
- Jump both feet back so that you’re now in a plank position.
- Drop to a push up, your chest should touch the pumpkin.
- Push up to return to plank position.
- Jump the feet back in toward the hands.
- Stand up with the pumpkin in your hands and press it overhead. Arms beside ears.
Single-leg Romanian Deadlift
3 sets of 12 reps on each leg
- Hold your pumpkin firmly in front of you.
- Find your balance on one foot. Your supporting leg is slightly bent and your back is flat.
- Hinge forward from your hip and lean toward the ground.
- Return to your start position and repeat. Switch legs when done.