Summer is just around the corner, and patio season is calling our name! But burgers, fries, and calorie-laden salads aren't our jam.
To make sure you stick with your healthy eating plan, we've got a few patios that pair perfectly with those after-work hangouts, and even weekend brunch plans!
Here are a few tips to eat healthy on any patio:
- If you're getting a sandwich, ask for it open-faced!
- Getting a burger? Go with a lettuce bun–but remember to ask for a fork and knife!
- Pick the side salad over the fries, especially if you're getting a full burger or sandwich.
- Try to find a meal that's veggie-heavy.
- Don't go in hungry! The easiest way to choose an unhealthy meal is when you're ravenous.
Check out these 5 BC patios to hit up for Healthy Grub:
Photo courtesy of LOCAL Public Eatery
LOCAL has become a favourite for many during the summer, with wait-times hitting close to an hour on the really sunny days... and there's a reason for that!
With a menu that hits the sweet spot for nearly anyone in your party, it's easy to find something that will curb your pub-grub cravings.
- Hippie Toast–add a poached egg for protein!
- The Super Freekah Salad–with grains, chickpeas and chicken, you've got protein and fibre wrapped up in a delicious salad!
- House-Made Veggie Burger–packed with brown rice and nuts, this is high fibre and good fats wrapped in a bun (but be sure to ask for it with a lettuce bun).
Photo courtesy of Cactus Club Cafe
Found across the province (and even across the country), Cactus Club is the go-to for many after-work (or even during work... we won't tell!) eats. Luckily, their menu is full of healthy options.
Our favourite patios are the Cactus Clubs in:
- Coal Harbour
- English Bay
Here are a few healthy options from their menu:
- Quinoa Salad–full of fibre, arugula and fresh veggies, it's a great patio dinner. Tip: add chicken or grilled salmon for some added protein!
- Chicken Tacos–no breading, avocado, and veggies! Just be sure to swap out the sour cream and french fries.
- Port Wine Salmon–lentils, salmon, and a side salad! We suggest skipping out on the bacon to really hit your nutritional quota.
Photo courtesy of TurF
If you're looking for a cool environment, some people watching, and the perfect smoothie, look no further! Oh, you can also do a little shopping while you're at it.
Some of our favourites from the menu:
- The Burger–a black bean patty with seeds and eggplant, topped with carrot bacon, cashew "cheese," and the regular toppings–all house-made.
- Kimchi Rice–an asian flare with kimchi, wild rice, mushrooms, sautéed greens and tahini miso. This packs a probiotic punch with an extra hit of fibre (hello happy digestion).
- Tarps Off–plant-based protein, carbs, and a whole lot of deliciousness. Grab a smoothie after your gym session at Steve Nash Kitsilano Fitness World with your workout buddy!
Photo courtesy of Ferris' Grill
Ferris' Grill in Victoria
Can you go wrong with seafood? We think not! Ferris' has a long list of oysters–shooters, smoked, breaded, pan-fried–classic soups, and salads that can fit into your healthy diet.
Check out some of our top picks:
- Fresh shucked on the halfshell–oysters have a great nutritional profile. High in protein, calcium, magnesium, zinc and B-12... they're basically a multi-vitamin!
- The Gina Lola Sandwich–loads of veggies on sourdough bread! Make it an open-faced sandwich to cut the calories.
- Wild Salmon Burger–wild sockeye salmon is a great source of healthy fats! Again, ask for half bun, half lettuce to cut the calories and carbs.
Photo courtesy of Bohemian Cafe & Catering Co.
Bohemian Cafe & Catering Co. in Kelowna
Bohemian Cafe is a great option for those weekend brunch plans when the weather is too nice to head inside. And with a loaded brunch menu, it can be hard to steer clear of the waffles and pancakes!
We suggest skipping the hash browns. Ask for a side salad, especially if you're already getting a side of toast. And go light on the condiments!
What's making our mouths water:
- Florentine Benedict–Like we said, skip out on the hashbrown, or ask for no english muffin.
- Make your own breakfast! Two free-run eggs, ABOHcado (have an avocado stuffed with salsa), with homemade bread or organic yogurt with strawberry jam.
Stay on track with your healthy eating with a FREE nutrition consultation.