Looking for a healthy and delicious cookie that tastes like it's chock-full of Nutella? We've got the perfect recipe for you. These cookies contain no sugar and no butter, so feel free to indulge!
The "I can't believe it's not Nutella" Chocolate Hazelnut Cookie:
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 scoop unflavoured beef protein isolate (BPI)
- 2 tbsp dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 squares dark chocolate (about 1.5 oz), chopped or broken into chunks
- Optional: sweetener
- Set the oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Powder the BPI in a spice grinder, coffee grinder, or blender (I’ve found that it doesn’t mix well and this is an essential step when cooking with BPI). Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the hazelnuts and toast, stirring and shaking the pan often, until nuts are fragrant and start to brown. Do NOT burn!
- While the nuts are still warm, transfer them to a food processor with the coconut oil. Process for a long time, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed, until you have a creamy hazelnut butter. In the interim it will be a chunky mess and you will think, “This isn’t working, it’s never going to turn into hazelnut butter!” Trust me, just keep scraping and blending and press on.
- Blend in the BPI, sweetener (if you're using it), egg, cocoa powder, vanilla, baking soda, and ½ tsp salt until thoroughly incorporated. Taste and add more sweetener if you’d like. Then carefully pulse in the chocolate chunks; pulse just enough to get them incorporated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (this is KEY, otherwise they will stick). Use a heaping tablespoon to divide the dough into 6 big lumps (you’ll have a little extra cookie dough for munching). Wet the tines of a fork or the bottom of a drinking glass with water and use it to press a dough ball flat. Repeat with each cookie, re-dipping in water each time.
- Bake at 350 F for 6-8 minutes or until just solid. Do NOT overbake!
- Sprinkle with coarse sea salt while still warm. Let cool and serve! Makes 6 cookies.
Macros per cookie:
Calories: 176 | Protein: 9g | Fat: 15g | Carbs: 4g (out of which 3g is fiber)
Do you have a favourite healthy recipe that mimics a traditional one? We'd love to hear about it in the comments below!