Article contributed by: Blended For You www.blendedforyou.com
It’s cold outside and comfort foods are what we’re feeling. Here are some of our fave, easy recipes that keep us warm, satisfied, and energized. They’re packed with nutrients, antioxidants and immunity boosting foods. We also love that they’re great as easy-to-warm left-overs, so feel free to double up when making.
Easy Chilli Chicken Stir-Fry (2 Servings)
This stir-fry recipe uses the Habanero chili, which is known to have natural heat & metabolism-boosting properties. Prepare this recipe with firm tofu or prawns instead of chicken if you prefer.
Start the long grain brown rice ahead of time as it will take about 30 to 40 minutes.
8 ozs Chicken Breast (sliced into ½ inch thick strips)
1 tbsp Sweet chili sauce
1 tbsp Ginger (fresh, minced)
1 Red pepper (large size, sliced)
2 cups Broccoli
2 cups Snow peas
1 to 2 whole, medium, slice in half Habanero chili
1/6 cups Chicken stock
1 tsp Rice vinegar
2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup Brown rice (long grain, uncooked)
1/2 cup Water (yields approx. 2/3 cup of brown rice)
1) Rice: combine wild and brown rice in pot with ½ cup of water, boil and then simmer with lid on until all water is absorbed.
2) Slice chicken into 1/2 inch thick slices. In a wok or skillet, heat oil over medium heat; stir-fry chicken until just a hint of pink remains (about 12 min) and transfer to side plate.
3) Add habanero chili and ginger to skillet, stir-fry over med-high heat for 30 seconds. Add broccoli, red pepper, snow peas and 2 tbsp of water; cover and steam until tender-crisp.
4) Return chicken and any accumulated juices to skillet. Whisk together stock, chili sauce and rice vinegar – stir into skillet, stirring until thickened (about 1 minute). Veggies should remain semi-crisp.
5) Serve rice onto plate(s)
6) Serve chicken, veggies and a small amount of juice over rice
The Big Roasted Veggie Bowl (2 Servings)
In a roasting pan, add the following:
- 2 cup Sweet potato, clean skin, quartered
- 2 cups Cauliflower, florets (large-ish cut)
- 8 Asparagus stalks, sliced in half
- 2 Bell pepper (red, orange, yellow), sliced
- 4 Garlic clove pieces, peeled
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Pinches kosher salt
- 2 Pinches fresh ground black pepper
- Herb options: thyme, rosemary
Drizzle with olive oil, add salt, pepper, mix/toss, roast in oven for 30 minutes at 400 degrees. Turn after each 10 minute period.
- Drizzle with 1 tbsp of tahini (optional)
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds (sprinkle on top).
Up your protein by adding (per serving):
- 5 oz pan seared prawns
- 4 oz pan-seared free range chicken
- 4 oz smoked tofu (add slices of tofu to the baking sheet to make it super easy).
Flu Fighter Soup (2 Servings)
When our systems need a break and an immunity boost, we make big batches of this one an enjoy through out the week. Double up the recipe for extras.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, medium size, chopped
- 6 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger, fresh, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp turmeric, fresh, minced
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 5 cups organic vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- (add sea salt, to preferred taste).
1) Place a large saucepan over the stove, add coconut oil, turn to medium heat.
2) Add onion and celery and sautée for 2 minutes.
3) Add ginger, garlic, turmeric, cayenne and squash and sautée for 2 minutes.
4) Add broth and a pinch of sea salt.
5) Bring to boil, reduce to a simmer and cover the pot, cooking until the squash is soft, about 20 minutes.
6) Stir in the kale and parsley. Add sea salt to taste if desired. Remove from heat and serve.
Up the protein: 1 cup chickpeas (add in with squash).
Leftovers: let cool, then pack in air-tight containers and store in fridge (up to 4 days) or freeze.
About Blended For You
Nutritionally balanced, superfood boosted frozen smoothie packs delivered direct to your home or office. Life gets busy and you’ve got health goals. We’ve got you covered. Order online at www.blendedforyou.com.
Check the SNSC Deals APP for your 10% members code!