We all love the summer––getting outside to do awesome, healthy, adventure, BC kind-of-stuff! And while we're busy having fun and getting our tan on, we soak up much needed Vitamin D.
Why do want Vitamin D? What are the benefits?
- Weight loss! (Low Vitamin D affects insulin secretion and glucose tolerance)
- It keeps bones strong (Vitamin D’s most basic role is aiding in calcium absorption)
- It's good for your brain (helps regulate blood pressure, weight, and mood)
- Healthy heart (Low Vitamin D is linked to higher blood pressure in winter)
- It helps combat SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder – literally a season-based depression)
But what can we do in the winter? Especially when we aren't getting regular amounts of sun each day? (They don't call Vancouver "Raincouver" for nothing!) Let's take a look at some of the ways you can get your full dosage of Vitamin D each day.
Healthy Sources of Vitamin D:
Your body can synthesize Vitamin D with just 5-10 minutes of exposure a few times a week (without sunscreen).
- Vitamin D fortified foods:
- Cooked Salmon (3.5 oz will give you 360IU of Vitamin D)
- Cooked Mackerel (3.5 oz = 345UI)
- Tuna fish in oil (3.0 oz = 200UI)
- Vitamin D-Fortified Milk (1 cup = 98UI)
- Fortified Cereal (3/4 cup - 1 cup = 40UI)
- Eggs (1 = 20UI)
- Swiss Cheese (1 oz = 12 UI)
- Vitamin D supplements:
Our dotFIT ActiveMV Multivitamin Formula that we sell in our clubs has the correct dose of Vitamin D3. We recommend this multivitamin for any adult who exercises––it has all the nutrients you need to ensure optimal health, and more of the nutrients you need to be active and fit (like zinc, magnesium, and of course, Vitamin D). If you’re between 18-50 and exercise at least 2.5 hours per week, take one tablet with breakfast and one tablet with dinner.
To dive deeper into your nutrition, ask us about your free nutrition assesment and meal plan! If you've already had one, you can also redeem points in your SN Clubs app for a complimentary 50-minute Nutrition Coaching session!