You hit snooze a few too many times this morning, and now you're running late. There's barely any time to grab a cup of coffee let alone make breakfast.
Once you get to work, you've been pulled into meeting after meeting, using your precious time at your computer to power out that project due tomorrow.
All of a sudden it's 3 PM and you're starving. So you run out to your nearest coffee shop to grab that croissant sandwich, a vanilla latte, and maybe that muffin for later–you deserve a treat.
Sound familiar? Let us help.
We get it. Sometimes, our day can get away from us. But that doesn't mean our health goals need to.
We've got a few tips for healthy eating for a busy workday to keep your nutrition goals on track, regardless of what your day throws at you!
1. Start with a high protein breakfast.
Here are a few options:
- Protein shake is one of the quickest ways to do this! Throw some protein powder, water or milk into a shaker bottle and you're off!
- A smoothie you made the night before (i.e. spinach, 1 banana, chocolate protein powder, plus a big scoop of nut butter)
- Hardboiled eggs. If you pre-peel them, it's a great grab-and-go
- Whole grain, sprouted toast with nut butter
2. Keep healthy snacks at your desk + in the fridge.
What you can keep at your desk (that don't require any work):
- Nuts and nut butters (make sure there's no one in your office with a severe allergy!)
- Fruit that holds up – think apples, bananas, oranges. If you don't eat it, you can make friends by sharing!
- Protein Bars
- Sugar free yogurt
- Canned soup
3. Make friends with the one-pot meals.
Do you really want to do all those dishes? Neither do we. Here are some of our favourite ways to stick to minimize dishes, but maximize flavour.
- Veggie stirfry with rice noodes. Extra time-saving tip? Just use frozen veggies!
- Slow cooker recipes
- Pasta salads: just chop up all the veggies, boil the pasta, and toss it all together!
Tip: Make enough servings for tomorrow's lunch!
4. Become a meal prep master.
Meal prepping is actually pretty easy. It's getting the motivation that might take some work.Simply google "easy meal prep recipes" to get your mouth watering and find inspo you need for your grocery list. Here are a few helpful tips to make the process easy:
- Divide to conquer: buy your groceries on a different day than you prep!
- Wash your produce before you put it in the fridge
- Have a clean space before you start cooking: clean and put away dishes, get out all the utensils you need
- Use your whole kitchen: stove top, oven, slow cooker, rice cooker
And if all else fails, know where you can grab quick and healthy takeout!