Hosting a Super Bowl Party and want to make sure there is something for all your guests, including those trying to keep it healthy in 2019? It’s all about options and add-ons.
Here are three of our favourite ideas for keeping the crowd happy and dietary preferences covered!
Spinach Turkey Slider
- 3 cups flat-leaf spinach, thick stems removed, leaves chopped
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 12 slider buns or small dinner rolls, split, lightly toasted (for serving)
Option for Gluten and/or Calorie Watchers: Iceberg lettuce wraps (usually as popular as the buns).
1. Combine spinach, scallions, garlic, turkey, and cumin in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Using a fork, mix gently just to combine.
2. Form turkey mixture into twelve 1/2"-thick patties.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties until golden brown and cooked through (avoid pressing down on patties with spatula while cooking), about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
Slider Topping Ideas:
Sliced red onion, pickle slices, grainy or spicy mustard, antipasto spreads or salsas (a healthier spin that typical mayo-style spreads).
Texas Style Veggie Chili
Serves 6 Medium Size Portions (double recipe as desired).
Tip: We make our chili meat-free and put seasoned ground turkey or beef as a topping, so we cover our veggie and meat-loving guests!
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic, fresh clove, crushed
- 1 cup black beans, canned , drain liquid
- 1 cup kidney beans, drain liquid
- 12 cups diced tomatoes, canned, keep liquid
- 2 cups green peppers, sliced
- 2 cups red peppers, sliced
- 3 cups mushrooms, thick sliced
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp pepper
1. In a large pot, brown ground soy meal in olive oil with crushed garlic.
2. Add all chopped veggies and diced tomatoes (with liquid) into pot.
3. Add spices and mix thoroughly.
4. Bring to a boil and simmer for approximately 60 minutes.
5. Taste and add extra seasoning/spices to suit your preference. Simmer again for 10 minutes.
6. Mix again before serving into bowls (serve hot).
Add-on & Topping Ideas:
- Warm served bread rolls
- Sour Cream
- Chopped chives
- Shredded cheddar and/or vegan cheese
- Tortilla scoops
- Seasoned ground beef or turkey (serve warm).
Baked Buffalo Cauli Wings (GF, V)
This one is a fave with our meat-loving and vegan friends alike!
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour (120 g)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder (taste test to your preference – increase for extra hot)
*For a quick and easy Buffalo sauce, you can use hot sauce and tahini instead. Split to your taste and hot preference.
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
1. Preheat the oven to 450ºF or 230ºC.
2. Wash and cut the cauliflower head into bite sized pieces or florets.
3. Mix the batter ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
4. Dip each floret into the batter and coat evenly. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, flip the florets over, bake another 10 minutes.
6. Let cool for a few minutes before dipping into the Buffalo Sauce.
1. Add sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the sauce into a mixing bowl.
2. Toss the baked florets in the sauce, a couple of pieces at a time. Place back on baking sheet.
3. Bake for 10 minutes, flip the florets over, bake another 5 to 10 minutes until golden brown.
4. Transfer to a platter and top with chopped green onion (serve hot).
Options: serve with a Ranch or Vegan Ranch dip and fresh cut celery and carrot sticks on the side.
Drinks? How about some delicious superfood smoothies?
Blended For You delivers clean, nutrient-rich frozen smoothies to your door and SNFC members get 10% off their orders! They’ve even got an “After Party” if you need a little Super Bowl recovery. Check out the deal in our app or use the code SNSC10% at checkout. Order at www.blendedforyou.com.