Core routine getting too repetitive? Been trying to get a six pack for a long time?
Well, if you answered yes to any of these questions, this is the article for you!
When it comes to core, basic exercises are always my go to, follow the K.I.S.S. principle (Keep it Simple Silly). Make sure you’re doing the exercises with the correct form and you’ll instantly feel a huge difference during your core workouts.
Let me give you 4 amazing core exercises that are not sit-ups:
1. Straight Arm Plank:
No equipment needed.
- On the ground, place your hands underneath your shoulders and your knees underneath your hips. Make sure your arms are straight.
- From here, extend your legs. Make sure your toes are pushing against the ground and your hands are still underneath your shoulders.
- Squeeze your lats, core, and glutes. The challenge here is going to be for you to keep a neutral spine (no lower back rounding), full body tension, and make sure to breathe!
2. TRX Crunch:
The TRX has to be one of my favourite modalities since its going to give you a functional full body workout that you can use anywhere (literally!) also, it has lots of progressions and regressions based on goals and ability.
- Adjust the handles mid calf. You will be on the ground, facing away from the anchor.
- Put both feet in the foot cradles. You can be on your forearms or hands with your legs straight, in a plank position. Don’t let your hips sink to the floor to avoid injuring your lower back.
- Bring your knees towards your chest, and then bring your legs back towards the anchor point.
3. Kneeling Pallof Press + Rotation:
For his one you can either use a resistance band or a cable machine set up at chest height (remember you will be kneeling too).
- With both hands, grab the handle or band, and walk a few feet away from the anchor to create tension.
- Position yourself sideways from the anchor and go into a kneeling position. Make sure your toes are pushing against the ground. Your core is activated and you’re squeezing your glutes (you'll most likely feel a stretch on your hip flexors).
- Start by bringing the handle (or band) towards your chest.
- Extend both arms and press the cable away from your chest.
- Rotate away from the anchor.
- Return to the starting position after.
4. Ab Crunch:
Yes, I know I said I was gonna give 4 exercises that aren't “sit-ups” but let's be honest, you will do them anyway.
The secret behind ab crunches is on the eccentric part of the exercise, a.k.a. when you're coming back to the floor.
Challenge for you: On the way back to the ground keep slow, count to 4 on the way back and your abs will be on fire! Want more of a challenge? Try the eGYM at our Morgan Crossing location.
eGYM? What is that? Well, eGYM is a highly modern training equipment which generates resistance using an electric motor and adjusts the weight dynamically to the user’s strength. Also, this is the only eGYM in Canada so come down to Morgan Crossing and give it a try!
The good news?
Having abs is not as hard as you may think it is! All you need to do is follow the 5 pillars of fitness:
- Resistance Training
- Professional Assistance