When it hits 3:00pm at the office, are you reaching for that candy bar, muffin across the street, or bag of chips to curb your hangry? These 3 paleo snacks will help curb that slump, and keep you craving free.
When I think hungry, I think of the Snickers commercials. The ones where someone is a bear, or an angry dog, etc. until they're given a bite of a Snickers. While it's true that eating a snack like a candy bar, reaching for a sugar-filled bar, muffin, etc. will only lead to further cravings, not eating at all may lead to binge eating at dinner.
Luckily, snacks that are deemed "paleo friendly" are low-sugar (sorry, no Snickers allowed). With more protein, and more veggies, you're more likely to stay full, and happy, all afternoon long.
Here are 3 paleo snacks that will get you through your 3PM slump:
Eggs aren't just for breakfast. This little oval packs a high-protein punch, alongside good fats that can keep you fuller, for longer. Pair this with some leafy greens and other veggies for some extra fibre.
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded spinach or kale
- 3 slices bacon (optional)
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Coat tin with thin layer of coconut oil and ladle mixture into a 12-cup muffin tin, evenly.
- Place in oven and let cook for 15-20 minutes.
Image Courtesy of Cotter Crunch
No Bake Chocolate Coconut Bars
Recipe adapted from: Cotter Crunch
- 1 1/4 cup dried unsulphured figs or about 5-6 ounces (stems cut off)
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1 cup unsweetened Coconut Flakes (plus extra for topping)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- dash of sea salt (1/4 tsp)
- 1/3 to 2/3 cup or more of dark chocolate
- Line a square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Next make sure your dried figs have all the stems cut off, then place cashew, coconut, salt, vanilla, and figs in food processor. Blend until all is mixed well but not puréed.
- Pour mixture into baking dish and press down well.
- Place dark chocolate in a microwave safe bowl or on stove top. Heat until melted. About 60-90 seconds in microwave mixing half way.
- Pour the chocolate over the cashew coconut batter and spread it evenly in the dish to cover all.
- Sprinkle extra coconut and dash of sea salt on top of chocolate (evenly).
- Place in freezer for 20 minutes or fridge for a few hrs.
- Once they are hardened, remove from fridge. Slice into bars and wrap each one in foil for a quick grab and go bar. Or store in an air tight container.
- Best kept in fridge for freshness.
Apple Pie Chia Seed Pudding
- 3 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1/2 cup water + 1/2 cup unsweetened, non-dairy milk
- 1/2 grated apple
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- A few walnuts, crumbled up
- Mix all ingredients, except walnuts, in a jar or container (usually the one you'll eat it out of!)
- Be sure to let it mix thoroughly and let it sit in the fridge overnight.
- Add walnuts in the morning before you leave for work.
Another idea? Schedule a FREE Nutrition Consult for more recipes.