I was introduced to yoga shortly after I moved to New York City for acting school. One of my teachers was a certified yoga instructor and had us do yoga before we went on stage – he said it would help us be better listeners and be more present both on and off the stage. Since then, I’ve been hooked!
I love practicing and teaching yoga. Not only is yoga an excellent stress reliever, but it's incredibly rewarding to have the opportunity to uplift and inspire participants in any way that I can.
As a physically active person, I also find yoga to be a very effective way to incorporate stretching into your routine. It keeps you flexible and active in physical sports.
Regardless of what your lifestyle is, here are some of my favourite yoga poses that you can incorporate into your daily routine. Namaste!
- Strengthens your shoulders, arms, legs, ankles and back
- Opens your hips, chest and lungs
- Improves focus, balance, and stability
- Stretches your hips, groins and shoulders
- Opens your chest and lungs
- Builds stamina and concentration
- Energizes tired limbs
- Stimulates your abdominal organs
- Develops balance and stability
- Improves circulation and respiration
- Improves flexibility and strengthens the groin, knees, and inner thighs
- Stimulates the abdominal organs, specifically those related to the digestive system
- Improves the functioning of the prostate glands and ovaries, bladder, and kidneys by stimulating the organs
- Stimulates the heart muscles
- Opens up the lower back region
- Calms the entire pelvic area
- Improves balance
- Strengthens your thighs, calves, ankles and spine
- Stretches the inner thighs, chest and shoulders
- Can relieve sciatica, as well as reduce the negative effects of flat feet
Sava means “corpse” and asana means “posture.” It may look like the easiest pose in the entire yoga practice, but one of the most important poses that you’ll do – the benefits of Savasana are more than any other asana. Perform Savasana at the end of your practice.
- Calms the body and helps relieve stress
- Relaxes the body
- Reduces headache, fatigue and insomnia