As the weather heats up, nothing beats a popsicle to cool down on a warm Summer day!
However, many of the delicious offerings from the local supermarket can be packed with sugar and artificial flavours. Our take on this dessert on a stick features blueberries and Greek yogurt – the blueberries providing an antioxidant kick and tart-but-sweet berry goodness, and the Greek yogurt providing the creaminess and added protein.
If you don’t have blueberries available, you can substitute them for other Summer-y fruits, like strawberries, cherries and raspberries.
Yield: 6 popsicles | Total Prep Time: 6-8 hours
Special Equipment Needed:
- Food processor or blender
- Popsicle mold
- 2 cups blueberries (or alternative fruit!)
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave syrup
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- Add the blueberries to your food processor/blender and blend until nearly liquefied into a smoothie-like consistency.
- Pour your blueberry liquid into a large bowl.
- Stir in the honey/agave syrup.
- Add the yogurt and mix all three ingredients together gently.
- Pour your mixture into each popsicle mold. If your mold has slots for sticks, make sure to insert them before freezing! Otherwise, freeze the popsicles for two hours, then add a wooden popsicle stick in the middle, and continue to freeze for an extra 4-6 hours.
- If you want to use a flavoured yogurt instead, simply remove the sweetener from the recipe.
- For a swirly look to your popsicle, do not fully mix the yogurt and berries together. Keep the patches of white and blue in your mixture!
- You can also be generous with the amount of fruit used – it’s completely up to your taste!
Making healthy choices and regular exercise are a successful combination that can help pave the way to your fitness goals. Our Personal Trainers will help you eat smarter with a nutrition plan that enhances your training plan. Contact us for a free meal plan and goal assessment during an upcoming visit.