Kind of like the safety warning on planes "Put your own oxygen mask before helping others around you," the same can be said for care for yourself.
You can't pour from an empty cup, you can't help others with their mask when you're not breathing either... whatever metaphor you'd like you use, self-care is the key to be your most productive self and help others.
And don't worry, self-care doesn't just mean spa days, face masks, and burning candles. Sometimes, it's as simple as eating real food, and saying "no" to that extra project you really don't have time for.
1. Take 5 minutes each morning to yourself. Take 5 minutes to organize your thoughts, and priorities (with a cup of coffee or tea in hand).
2. Buy a new outfit. Something warm and cozy for the cooling weather should do the trick!
3. Stay hydrated. It's harder in the cooler months. Try herbal teas (they'll even have medicinal benefits).
4. Set up a regular bedtime. You're not superhuman. You need 7-9 hours each night, sorry!
5. Write yourself little love notes. And hide them to find later. Yes, you are that awesome.
6. Say "no" at least once per week. Especially if you actually don't want to do it.
7. Change up your Instagram feed. Follow accounts that don't make you feel insignificatn
8. Schedule in time to workout. A 15-minute walk or a 2-hour bike ride. Whatever you can fit!
9. Splurge on your favourite restaurant meal. These calories don't count.
10. Give your place a serious clean out. It's amazing how organizing your home makes you feel like you've got your life together.
11. Put on your favourite song and just dance it out. You'll be surprised at how quickly your mood changes.
12. Turn your phone off after 8pm. Or try a digital detox.
13. Cuddle a dog. It doesn't have to be yours. You might even not know whose it is! That one tied up in front of the coffee shop looks cute.
14. Buy vegetables, and eat them. You'll have more energy, and just feel all-together better about life.
15. Try a new workout class. Maybe it'll be your new favourite.
16. Head out into nature. You likely live in British Columbia... it's not hard to find a trail with trees everywhere.
17. Pause. When you're feeling stressed or overwhelmed, take a minute and breathe.
18. Buy the good coffee (or tea). You deserve it.
19. Name 3 things you're grateful for. Choose these at the start of the day to start with a positive mindset.
20. Take a nap. Yes, like in pre-school. Take a 10-minute power nap when you get home from work, and see how your evening changes!
21. Count your breaths. Like meditating, but less complicated. Try counting up to 15 breaths. Start again every time you get off track.
22. Watch a comedy special on Netflix. It's hard to think about your stress when you're laughing your head off.
23. Listen to your favourite album or song. And sing it at the top of your lungs, no one's listening.
24. Try out a face mask. Because your skin will actually feel pretty great after.
25. Have a warm shower, put on body lotion, then cozy up in warm PJ's. Especially on those chilly and damp nights.
26. Plan a movie night with your best friends. A little friend time is always soothing for the soul.
27. Go on a date (even if it's with yourself). And get the fancy glass of wine.
28. Rearrange your home (or even a room). New space, new you. Right?
29. Write down some of your short, and long-term goals. Let yourself get creative and grounded in your future goals.
30. Try out a guided meditation. If you have no idea where to start, check out our review of Calm vs. Headspace.